LinkedinTwitterThe DetailsConnectBlog Facebook Meet the TherapistHome For Writers

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Perfect Gift Idea for Writers

I know Christmas is a ways off, but couldn't wait to share this with you!!

I purchased some jewelry for myself while I was laid up at home with a sprained ankle. I HAVE to share with you how beautiful they turned out and make you green with envy!

People have been "upcycling" typewriter keys from vintage typewriters from the 40s and 50s. Etsy.com has become a new kind of addiction for me, checking out the earrings, necklaces, bracelets, and rings made out of these keys.

As a writer, I love the idea that many fingers have typed who-knows-what on these keys: love letters, novels, extortion notes...ah, but I digress.

Etsy shops are known for working with customers on customized exchanges. I contacted a few shops (which I'll give the information below) and had them send me pictures like the one below of uncleaned, unpolished keys so I could select which one I wanted for the jewelry.

 
I picked the middle key, and Laureen from Allstrungoutjewelry made this for me:

It's sterling silver, and is adjustable for whatever finger you want to wear it on. Is this just not the coolest idea ever? I was delighted to discover that the back had a copyright HEA on it, which of course, in writer world means happily ever after. I'm wearing it as I type this very post and will wear it when I work on my novel later. There's something incredibly poetic about that. If you want one for yourself or for another writer friend, click here.

I also had a pair of earrings made for me, utilizing J and C initials. Jacqueline Thorne of jmtjewelry customized these beauts for me:
If you want a pair for yourself or someone else, click here.

And there you have it. The most original gift idea for writers I've ever come across. Gifts for guys are available, too...they have cufflinks here for them.

So what are you waiting for?

Let's Analyze

What's the most creative gift for writer's you've ever heard of? (Besides what's listed above!)