LinkedinTwitterThe DetailsConnectBlog Facebook Meet the TherapistHome For Writers

Monday, June 7, 2010

Michelle Sutton's Never Without Hope Review

Edgy inspirational author Michelle Sutton's latest book release features some incredibly hot and sexy scenes....just not between a wife and her husband.

Here's a blurb about the book:

Hope believes she is above sexual temptation; that she would never break that commandment like her husband's previous wives had done. After all, she is a good Christian and a loving mother. She has no reason to stray . . . until her husband starts neglecting her needs and things begin to look hopeless. Though she clearly communicates her pain to her husband, he refuses to get help. She starts to wonder…Will she never have sex with her husband again? She soon learns that she, too, is capable of such betrayal when she succumbs to the unthinkable.

Under normal circumstances, I don't buy books about a woman cheating on her husband. I've rejected well-known authors simply because I didn't want to "go there" in a book. The reason I bought Michelle's is simple: she reviewed my Genesis submission and I felt like the least I could do was buy her book and write a review.

Then I started reading it. I was sucked in immediately. I thought of all the people I have counseled and am currently counseling who have been led into adultery. How the other man/woman suddenly becomes a fixation...like an addiction. The heady sensation of losing yourself to something you know is wrong, but which feels so good (at least in the moment).

I was glad Michelle went the extra mile and demonstrated how sex is an emotional connection to someone else. It would have been easy to leave that part out (and no doubt easier to get this puppy published), but I'm so glad she didn't. I've counseled so many women whose guilt overwhelms them....because even though they know what they did was wrong, they still have an emotional connection to the person they cheated on their spouse with. Yes, even love them.

I also appreciated Michelle showing how a man's problem with erectile dysfunction can lead to significant problems in marriage when pride is allowed to run rampant. I just sighed when I read the parts with Hope's husband because it was so true to real life. Men don't want to admit they "have a problem," and many are willing to let their wives' sexual needs go unmet rather than seek medical attention for such a taboo subject.

Michelle portrayed Hope's son a little bit more together than I would have thought he'd be, given the traumatic circumstances and his age, but I really liked how she had Hope view her sin through her son's eyes. Hope realizes how far-reaching the impact of her adultery could have on her son if her family doesn't form a cohesive unit again, and she agonizes over what she does to the point of suicidal ideation, (which is also realistic).

Really, this is an incredible book that I'd recommend to any woman (Christian or not) in my practice who has had an adulterous encounter or is considering one. I think Michelle's book lays it out in pretty stark terms what can happen to a marriage, even one with Christ in it. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series already. Their Separate Ways will explore how both Hope and her lover, Tony, experience the aftereffects of their sin in both their marriages. I'm sure it'll go on my "keeper" Kindle shelf. :)

Right now, you can buy a hard copy of Michelle's book directly from her and she'll autograph it, throw in a couple of bookmarks, and send it to you with free shipping if you order before June 15th. Just contact her directly from her website or blog. You can also buy Never Without Hope on Amazon. Really....you don't want to miss out on this book.

Wordle: signature

3 comments:

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Thanks for the review. I hadn't heard of this book yet but it definitely sounds edgy!

Susanne Dietze said...

Wow, thanks for the review! I hadn't heard of it either. God bless, Jeannie. See you tomorrow at the Inkwell.

Edgy Inspirational Author said...

Thanks for your wonderful insights and inspiring words, Jeannie. If I hadn't heard of this book before you would've made me want to read it. :)

Post a Comment

Both comments and questions are welcome. I hope you enjoyed your time on the couch today.