LinkedinTwitterThe DetailsConnectBlog Facebook Meet the TherapistHome For Writers

Monday, December 16, 2013

Merry Christmas vs. Merry Winter Solstice?

I'm intrigued by this flowchart I ran across on Facebook. I believe it was originally posted here, but don't hold me to that.

In this world of being politically correct, agencies are moving toward (if they haven't already made the full transition) to having "holiday parties" instead of Christmas parties. Some places are celebrating "winter solstice" instead of Christmas. It's frowned upon to sing Christmas carols and say "Merry Christmas!"

Here's the flowchart:

Click to enlarge.
I say Amen! to this chart! And besides, the last time I checked, on the actual calendars that are mass-produced by various companies world-wide, on December 25th, it says CHRISTMAS in bold letters in the box. Christmas is recognized as a paid holiday by organizations, even at the county, state, and federal levels.

Religion aside, wishing someone a "Merry Christmas" could basically mean the same as saying "Merry December 25th" (which most people have off from work to be frickin' merry!). So it's even rational.

Me? I buck the political correctness for religious reasons. Here's the door to my office:


And the banner in my home:

I just don't want anyone to question my preference for winter holiday greetings, but I always smile and acknoledge the gracious intent behind anyone's well-wishing. Just wish everyone could do the same.

Sorry for the rant, but I realized this is a pet peeve of mind after I sat through a meeting where someone suggested the wording in a newsletter be changed that referred to the literal 25th day of December as Christmas. Aggravation.

Let's Analyze

What's your preference for "holiday greetings?" What do you do if someone calls you out on your chosen greeting?