LinkedinTwitterThe DetailsConnectBlog Facebook Meet the TherapistHome For Writers

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What do Popples® have to do with Characterization?

I've spent week before last monitoring Popples® on eBay.

Yes, you read right. Popples®.

Anybody out there remember these furry little marsupial-like toys from Hasbro? Back in the day, I had the one pictured, Puffball. 

This vintage toy is going for the low, low price of $49.95. And in a week-long fog of insanity, I nearly pressed the Buy It Now! button several times.

One, because this would serve my need for immediate gratification.

Two, because I love the idea of being reunited with a beloved toy from my childhood. In fact, love it so much that I was almost willing to part with 50 bones for this reunion.

(And would, in fact, have done so if my husband hadn't looked at me and said, "What on earth are you going to do with that?" I didn't have a good answer. I mean, I wouldn't let my daughter play with this "un-matted" vintage toy that I put down major bucks for...so it would likely sit on a shelf or in a drawer. I saw his point and bootlegged the picture for old times sake.)

But it got me thinking about people in general, and of course, our characters, which we model after real folks. Folks who have moments of insanity like this. Folks who have fond remembrances and affinities for things from our childhood. It says a lot about our character to form these attachments.

I'm not big on character forms, but a little character exercise every once in a while never hurt anyone. Answer the questions below to get to know your MC a little better.

1. What decade did your character grow up in?

2. Use this link to search for toys that correspond with that era. [WARNING: Potential time suck.]

3. Select a toy that you could imagine your character being willing to pay $50+ for 25 years later.

4. What feelings does this toy evoke in your character? Why?

Let's Analyze

Learn anything new...about yourself or your character? How many minutes did you just use up exclaiming over some of those old toys that you knew and loved?